SOME OF GOVERNOR GODWIN OBASEKI’S KEY ACHIEVEMENTS
The following are a list of some achievements of the Governor Godwin Obaseki-Led Government
grouped under the six thematic pillars of the state:
1) Economic Revolution
2) Infrastructural Development
3) Institutional Reforms
4) Social Welfare Enhancement
5) Environmental Sustainability
6) Culture and Tourism
- ECONOMIC REVOLUTION
• Edo Job Initiative; over 150,000 beneficiaries
• Establishment of Edo Innovation Hub, popularly referred to as “The South-South Silicon
Valley”; over 22,000 beneficiaries
• Creation of Edo Production Center to drive industrial development and create jobs
• Launch of Edo State Oil Palm Program (ESOPP); N69 billion committed by the CBN
• 10,000 hectares across 3 senatorial districts adopted for rice production
• Remodeling and re-equipping of the Government Science and Technical College (GSTC)
- INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENT
• Emotan Garden Housing; 100 out of 1,440 units completed
• Establishment of Jara Mall
• New automated model for revenue collection; implementation of the Edo Revenue
Administrative System (ERAS)
• Ugboha/Uromi and Auchi water projects
• Construction of the Edo State Secretariat complex, Block C and Block D has been
• Construction/Renovation of roads across the 3 senatorial districts of the state including;
368 road contracts awarded; 274 road projects completed including:
Construction of Lucky Way
- Irhirhi-Aruogba-Obazagbon-Ogheghe Road
- Rehabilitation of Secretariat Road, Igarra
- Textile Mill Road (ongoing)
- Ugbor-Amagba (ongoing)
- Ekaewan Road (ongoing)
- Road construction project at Obakhavbaye (ongoing).
- Rehabilitation of Uzebba-Ukpoje-Akagbor Road
- Construction of Orhodua Bridge
• Reduced cost of Certificates of Occupancy to N50,000
• Renovation of High Court Complex
• Tayo Akpata University, Abudu Campus (ongoing)
• Ossiomo Power Plant; 55 megawatt capacity (ongoing)
• Azura-Edo 461 MW open cycle gas turbine power station
• Inauguration of Benin River Port, Gelegele project
• Creation of Edo Modular Refinery (ongoing)
• Construction of Ikpoba River dam
• Establishment of Benin Enterprise Park (ongoing)
• Renovation of Oba Akenzua Cultural Center
• Construction of Judges Quarters (ongoing)
• Construction of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Iguoriakhi (ongoing)
• Laying of fiber optic for faster internet speeds with collaboration with MainOne; 450km
street by street fibre deployed in Benin City.
• Construction of modern car park.(ongoing)
- INSTITUTIONAL REFORMS
• Wabizigan launched: launch of new security architecture and implementation of Security
Management Information System.
• Implementation of State Integrated Financial Management Information System (SIFMIS)
• Development and passage of a consolidated Public Financial Management (PFM) and
Fiscal Responsibility Act (FRA) for better financial management.
• Inauguration of Industrial Court in Edo State.
• Implementation of Treasury Single Account (TSA) policy for better control of
• New and better EDSTMA: The Edo State Traffic Control and Management Agency
(EDSTMA) has been revamped and repositioned for better service delivery to citizens.
. Contributory Pension Scheme for Edo State employees.
• Contributory Pension Scheme for local government workers established.
. Payment of backlog of pension arrears from 1996 to date.
• Eradication Community Development Associations (CDA’s) from our communities and
stopped Agberos from collecting revenues for Edo State Government.
• Creation of online website “EdoMonitorMe” Portal for transparency and monitoring of
- SOCIAL WELFARE ENHANCEMENT
• Edo Basic Education Sector Transformation (EDOBEST) programme: implementation of
modern teaching techniques and technology.
• Over 11,000 teachers trained across the state
• Edo State Sports Commission Bill passed into law and Edo State Sports Commission
• Over a million textbooks distributed across the state
• Establishment of Edo State Task Force on Human Trafficking to curb irregular migration
and human trafficking
• Launch of Edo State Health Insurance Scheme to quality and affordable health care
services for citizens.
• Twenty primary healthcare centers revamped.
• New Central Hospital opened
• Renovation and facilities upgrade of Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium
• Violence against Persons Bill has been signed into law to addres
- ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY
•Commencement of reclamation of erosion damaged embankment along Upper Mission
Road by Temboga.
• Remediation measures in Auchi through the Nigeria Erosion Watershed Management
• Operation Clean up Edo Project has put in place to prevent indiscriminate dumping of
- CULTURE AND TOURISM
• Successful hosting of the 2019 National Festival for Arts and Culture.
• Reintroduction of Culture Clubs in public schools
GOVERNOR GODWIN OBASEKI’S ACHIEVEMENTS IN THE FIGHT AGAINST
COVID – 19
SCREENING AND TESTING
• Primary Health-care centres spread across the 18 LGAs, with 62 designated screening
• Private Health-care centres across Benin City with 40 designated as screening centres
across Benin City.
• Mobile Screening centres across 6 LGAs, with 78 Screening point spread across respective
wards: 12 wards respectively in Oredo and Etsako-West LGA, 10 wards respectively in
Egor, Ikpoba-Okha, Esan West and Ovia North-East LGA.
• 64,200 persons have been screened via mobile screening centres, with 2,361 suspected
cases with samples collected. 51% Male screened and 49% Female.
• 212,000 persons screened via the fixed screening centres (Private and Primary Health-care
Total of 276,200 persons screened so far.
• Setting up and equipping of 3 isolation facilities in Stella-Obasanjo Hospital, University of
Benin Teaching Hospital, and Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital.
• Purchase and installat of 2 new PCR machines at Stella-Obasanjo Hospital and University
of Benin Teaching Hospital.
• Purchase 18,000 Rapid Testing Kit (RTK).
• Acquisition of 4 Autoclave machines
• Establishment a Covid-19 support call centre to manage questions and quarries from
• Upgrade of Emergency Operation Center (EOC) at the Hospital Management Board
complex with support from the USAid department carried out an
• Training of 4,218 health personnel to effectively fight the COVID-19.
• Special training to be organized for Helpline call attendants. Public health experts to be
included as trainers.
• H.E Godwin Obaseki approved a hazard allowance ranging from N90,000 to N300,000 for
frontline health worker.